CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minuteman Silo at Chanute Air Force Base

View previous topic :: View next topic  
armyjunk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Minuteman Silo at Chanute Air Force Base Reply with quote

This is also at the Museum. I know very little about this but this museum has something completely unique and should be preserved...

This is the description given...........

Mating and Demating Missle Training Silo

Built by Boeing, this structure is an almost identical copy of an ICBM missile silo in the field. With the exception of the concrete structure covering an access stairwell, the above-ground components are exact.

This silo was used at Chanute AFB to train maintenance and support personnel, especially in the loading and unloading (mating and demating) of missile guidance systems and warheads. To accomplish this, a specially designed trailer was positioned over the missile hatch. The hatch was then opened to allow access to the bottom of the trailer.

In the field, personnel access to the silo was made through a smaller round hatch with an adjacent locking mechanism.

Plan of Site, Photo 2 is taken from the "you are here sign"

3 Photos 3 and 4 show the three sections of the silo, these would all be underground..This is the bottom section.

4 Top section on the left with specially designed trailer on top, middle section on the right

5 Specially designed trailer was positioned over the missile hatch
moharani

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of Air Force recruiter should I speak to? I'm planning on joining the Air Force after college as a nurse. I would like to speak with a recruiter about scholarships opportunities, life as a nurse in the Air Force, etc.

Last edited by moharani on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Z-man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I don't think you will find the answer to your question here. Maybe try an air-force related message board.
armyjunk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Try here I think they can help you Reply with quote

moharani

Try here I think they can help you http://www.airforce.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: