CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fort Morgan Alabama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
harleyflowers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Fort Morgan Alabama Reply with quote

Recent and old photos taken at Fort Morgan Alabama

View of the Northwest Bastion of the old fort with Battery Thomas to the right

Front view of Battery Duportail looking southwest from the old fort across the parade grounds.

View of Battery Bowyer

Views inside of Battery Bowyer

Views of Battery Dearborn

Battery Schenck, the original mine casement is to the left. the second view is from the site of the dual mine control station on the flank of Battery Thomas looking down and across Schenck.

Current Sat View of Moble Point with the 1921 plan overlay showing location of post buildings. Note: The Fort Morgan Municipal airport was built after WWII ( fall of 1949 ) by the Alabama Dept of Aeronautics for access when Fort Morgan was converted into a hotel, restaurant and boat harbor called The Fort Morgan Inn

Ruins of the Peace Magazine located between Batterys Bowyer and Dearborn

Panoramic view taken from the post water tower in 1911. Officers row is to the left, the post hospital in the foreground and the quarantine station and wharf are to the far right. I spliced a missing section to the far left of the view.
( I own this Panorama but it is broken at the left, unsure where it came from before I purchased it on ebay )

Copy of a postcard published by Josef F. Kurmann, printed in Germany. it was taken at Fort Morgan Alabama, some time around 1911-1916. colors are a bit off ( It was hand tinted ) but for a 100 year old postcard it looks pretty good. The Administration building to the left is still standing as well as battery Bowyer in the far background, every thing else is long gone as the current view shows at bottom.

Aerial Views from about 1931

Aerial View from about 1948, shortly before work began on the Fort Morgan Inn and Airport. ID comes from the 1921 Post Plan but I am sure there are errors. anyone having a correction please advise.

View of Officers Row from near the Admin Building looking east with the hospital, band stand and tennis court at far left.
Photo from the pamphlet "A Illustrated Historical Sketch of Fort Morgan Al" by PF Spitzfaden and John W Garner - 1936. ( photo by JW Garner. Mobile Public Library Special Collection )

Photo from the pamphlet "A Illustrated Historical Sketch of Fort Morgan Al" by PF Spitzfaden and John W Garner - 1936. with a good view of the B1 Base Station that was located on the NE Bastion of the Fort ( photo by JW Garner. Mobile Public Library Special Collection )

Sketch of Reservation dated July, 1896 ( Mobile Public Library Special Collection ( On microfilm only ))

Officers Line - Sea Wall at Fort Morgan Al. a Real Photo Post Card Dated 1917. no credits or publisher info on back of card.

View of post taken from B1 base station on fort dated to a few years after the time the army abandoned the post, a few remains of temp building from the WWI buildup are at the far right

6 April 1934. Aerial view of Fort Morgan Al taken from the northwest. photo credited to 4th Photo Section, Army Air Corps, Maxwell Field, Montgomery Al.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> Photo Gallery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: