CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fort Dearborn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donnabhain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Fort Dearborn Reply with quote

The map on fortwiki is hard to read. I was wondering what the bunker is next to Battery 103 at Fort Dearborn in Rye, NH? I've read that the plotting room only had one entrance, so I assume the one close to the bunker must be it. It also has metal doors on the top. There is another larger bunker with two entrances further away which is labeled the PSR on fortwiki. So, which is the plotting room and what is the other bunker? I don't mean Battery 204, these two bunkers are in the same area as 103.
Z-man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the early PSR's for 100 series had 2 entrances. Could the 2nd one be the item marked "Reservoir"? - there was usually a small concrete pump house for that.
donnabhain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map on fortwiki is hard to read, at least on my monitor. Is there a more clear one available somewhere? I think you're right that its the reservoir I'm talking about. I'll have to find the link where I read the plotting room only had one entrance and ask where they got that info, maybe they have the plotting room and reservoir confused. Is the "TNT magazine" on the map you were looking at?
Z-man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - my eyes are going bad so I have a hard time with that map as well. There was a link to a "hi-res" version of the map on the wiki page. On that one I could read the word "reservoir" but couldn't really see where the arrow was pointed to. Unfortunately that fort is outside my ususal stompping grounds so not of much help with other documenation.
AndyR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm the Battery 103 PSR had two entrances (both now back-filled with large rocks). Also that the location shown for it on the fortwiki Battery 103 google map is correct.

I'm not sure what the other structure you describe might be. The only other one I visited in that area was the group station, which is an above ground concrete building on the road just south of Battery 103.
donnabhain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks z-man & andy!

According to northamericanforts.com "Fort Dearborn's PSR (Plotting, Spotting, Radio) casemate only had one entrance, with an escape hatch to the top where the second entrance would normally have been."

I think he's got the reservoir confused with the PSR as the pics he has of the PSR don't look like the PSR entrance but they match the below description of the reservoir with a hatch on top. It also seems to be smaller than the PSR.

This site described the reservation and it's location as it seems to be to me:
"A reinforced concrete earth covered reservoir pump house, which was used for the fire prevention system, was built behind Battery Seaman ... The pump house still stands today, the entrance is covered with a rock and concrete fill and the top access hatch has been secured."

You gotta come up and check out some of our NH forts z-man! I'm actually moving down south in a couple months, I'm gonna miss our forts Sad

The entrance to the reservoir faces away from 103, so it's easily overlooked if you assume it's just a hill.

1 PSR
2 Group Command
3 Battery 103
4 Reservoir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: