CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ft Preble & Ft Williams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donnabhain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Ft Preble & Ft Williams Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I went up to Maine last week and checked up on Ft Preble and Ft Williams. A section of the wall at Ft Preble is being erroded, entrances to two bunkers has been closd off since last time I was there. I went on a Wednesday and there was plenty of pedestrian traffic as Ft. Preble is now the grounds of the local college.

They're doing alot of landscaping at Ft. Williams, taking out alot of brush and mulching it up, clearing out a couple of small bunkers near the Governors Mansion that I hadn't even noticed last time I was there, along with path improvements along the cliff walk. I still wish they'd wise up and unbury the batteries, but I suppose green fields are more pleasing to park goers. Smile Ft. Williams is now a very busy town park, and also contains Portland Head Lighthouse, another tourist attraction.

As usual I'll try to throw up some pics, but I dont have internet access at home so it might be awhile Sad Just figured I'd post this and see if there's anyone from the Maine area on here Smile
armyjunk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donnabhain, what two bunkers at Williams are you talking about? Are we talking about the 2 FC stations on the 3" battery??
donnabhain

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, though they are doing something to one of those, and the other seems to have a new roof Smile According to the map these two little bunkers were for cables. Sorry for the late reply, I'm in the middle of moving and dont have regular 'net access.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: