CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A look inside Battery 241 at Fort MacArthur
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armyjunk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peak's Island Maine has some very large diesels they use for backup electrical power, I've often wondered did the come from the 16inch battery. I was working there at the time and never paid much attenion to them. The Navy powerhouse on Long Island, Maine has 2 large WWII diesels, I have some real bad pics from there, but some of the other guys will have good pics. If someone wants to take a trip to Maine they could look into these. I can give you lats and longs....................
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, do you know what the model number was of those engines? I ask because I think Thresherman Park, just north of Boonville, Indiana has a WWII vintage 5-6 cylinder they sometimes show off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolling Smith was kind enough to send out a copy of the Coast Artillery Training Bulletin for Diesel-Electric Plants 6-12-and 16 inch batteries. This document covers most of everything you need to know about the operation of these power plants. I have uploaded the pdf file to the museums servers for anyone who wants it. http://www.ftmac.org/downloads/WWII-Power.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
John Roberts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeJanesic wrote:
Hi John, do you know what the model number was of those engines? I ask because I think Thresherman Park, just north of Boonville, Indiana has a WWII vintage 5-6 cylinder they sometimes show off.

Joe, all we know, at this point, is what's in the RCW for Battery 519, and a few other sources. Here it is:

http://www.fortmiles.org/intel/download/weapons/batt519rcw.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: