CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tunnels- Fort Stevens in particular

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepscott3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Tunnels- Fort Stevens in particular Reply with quote

I worked for Oregon State parks at Fort Stevens, and have been volunteering there for the past three or four years since. I have met numerous people who claim that they have been in, or heard of tunnels running all over the place. I don't think they are conspiring to make me go nut's looking for them, so they must have seen something that looks like a tunnel out there. I just can't imaging that the Army had a massive system of tunnels since the terain is mostly right at water level and in order to go from one area to another they would likely be underwater. I have also never seen photos or prints of these tunnels, of course.

Is the "tunnel theory" common to all forts, or just Ft. Stevens? I'm guessing that our case is a combonation of misconceptions about what people saw decades ago, and the urban legend syndrome. Tunnels are cool to think about, and hidden ones are surely the best! Any insight is appreciated.

-Scott
RangerJoel77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the "tunnel theory" is a a fairly common occurence. I'm sure others out there will agree. Having grown up exploring the Boston Harbor Islands with a large number of forts to explore, I remember as a child hearing all kinds of stories of secret tunnels linking the various islands. As I grew older and learned more about the islands and their military history those long deep tunnels grew smaller and organized the more I looked up plans and documents.

Like Santa Claus and the tooth fairy...

Although, for the kids in us, or at least a laugh, I'm always willing to perpetuate myth and lore. You can learn more about the Boston Harbor Tunnel at my friend Mike's "Jo's Nautical Bar". Just go to josnautical.com

-Joel
BollingSmith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! There are no end of grand stories, from the tunnel under the Delaware River between Fort Mott and Fort Delaware, to the tunnel under the East River from Fort Totten to Fort Schuyler. Another frequently heard is Fort Adams.

Just enough of these stories have bit of truth (Forts Hamilton and MacArthur, and Mills, Frank, and Hughes in Manila Bay, if I recall correctly) to prevent simply writing them all off, but I think you are absolutely right about Fort Stevens. One can only speculate as to what inspired these stories. Cou ld be no more than the magazines of the mortar magazine.
Z-man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: jonautical.com

Wow - I spent all that time waiting to get a boat ride to the Brewsters...who knew I could have walked... Shocked
donnabhain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerJoel77 wrote:
Although, for the kids in us, or at least a laugh, I'm always willing to perpetuate myth and lore. You can learn more about the Boston Harbor Tunnel at my friend Mike's "Jo's Nautical Bar". Just go to josnautical.com

-Joel

I found that site while looking for more info on Snowe's notes on a tunnel on lovell island . . too bad their "tour" was on April 1st . . and no joke my grandmother passed away that morning. So I was wasting time confirming they were full of it when I could have been with my family. I even called the owner of the bar that morning so I wouldn't waste my time and he said to come on down! What a jerk. Nothing like having to con people to get business.

I did find references to a half dozen myths of tunnels from various boston islands to eachother and the mainland, so it's not just an Oregon thing Smile
Otto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnels- Fort Stevens in particular Reply with quote

jeepscott3 wrote:
I worked for Oregon State parks at Fort Stevens, and have been volunteering there for the past three or four years since. I have met numerous people who claim that they have been in, or heard of tunnels running all over the place. I don't think they are conspiring to make me go nut's looking for them, so they must have seen something that looks like a tunnel out there.

-Scott

I know that this is an old thread, and others have covered the "tunnel mysteries" of forts, but as someone very familiar with Fort Stevens, I can attest that there are no "tunnels".

Some people might think of tunnels when exploring the shell and powder magazines of Battery Clark, or perhaps the fully underground Battery Mishler. That's as close to "tunnels" you are going to get at Fort Stevens. There is also the old Mine casemate, but that hardly qualifies as a tunnel. The underground switchboard room is sort of "tunnel" like, but it's usually locked up.
donnabhain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some folks anything underground, and sometimes aboveground, is a "tunnel".
Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard a tunnel rumor at Fort Stevens too. I just don't see any reason why there would be such tunnels, just probably an urban legend, which is easy to form in such a place like Fort Stevens and the surrounding area.
capecheerful

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Tunnels Reply with quote

This tunnel thread reminded me of stories I heard in Vladivostok about a tunnel from the city to Rossiya Island, which I think is a couple miles offshore. I did see tunnel entrances in the cliffs, and the port was heavily fortified, but I've never read anything in print about it. Probably just a Russian urban myth.
Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having figured out about the tunnel that passes beneath Fort Columbia (on the north side of the Columbia River in Washington), I was thinking that maybe the tunnel rumor at Fort Stevens had some relation to the actual tunnel-which is now a road (Hwy 101), and use to be a railroad- that passes underneath Fort Columbia. Just a thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: