CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M1890 Mortar / M1896MI carriage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhanson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: M1890 Mortar / M1896MI carriage Reply with quote

I was hoping someone might be able to assist me in gathering some information, plans, or photos of the above. I recently saw these mortars on Corregidor, and later found out that there were identical mortars at Ft. DeSoto in Florida.

When I saw them in the Philippines I was very intrigued. I enjoy building scale models of old artillery, and these guns immediately caught my attention. I'd like to build a miniature of the M1890 mortar first. I've found a few references, and I've been in contact with the armory at Watervliet, NY, but would welcome any additional suggestions from this group.

I was really pleased to hear that identical mortars were in Ft. DeSoto, because I live about 90 minutes from there. I spent last weekend taking some measurements of the gun itself along with a few of the carriage. The problem is that there's a lot of missing parts, especially on the ones here in Florida, but even the Corregidor mortars are visibly incomplete.

I took a LOT of photos of both locations, which I'd be happy to share if anyone is interested. I also put together a CAD schematic of the mortar based on the measurements I took last weekend. You can see that here: http://tesoritos.com/tx/M1890_Mortar.pdf.

What I'd really like is a very good, legible set of engineering drawings.

Thanks!
M1890

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: M1890 Mortar drawings Reply with quote

mhanson,

I would go to the CDSG book "American Seacoast Defenses" pp. 149 to 155, there are some great drawings there. I'll soon be posting a photo of the emplacement pit foundation.

M1890
mhanson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered it, along with a few other books (and a hat Very Happy ).

Also have a 3D printer coming, hopefully that will help me in my quest to build models of these guns.

Thanks.

Mike
berhowma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordnance Department Document 1698 IMUC 12-inch Mortar Carriage Model 1891 (1899, 1904, 1909, 1917R) has a set of drawings, not quite at the scale you need, but better than nothing. I thought the CDSG had a scan of this document, but I see we do not. Not sure where to tell you to look for a copy.

Also Technical Manual 9-456 12-inch seacoast material 12-inch mortar mounted on mortar carriage M1896MI has some good photos of the details of maintaining and repairing the weapons, the CDSG does have a PDF copy of that manual. I can send if you contact me.

berhowma@cdsg.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: