CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cape Disappointment FC Stations, HDCR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Cape Disappointment FC Stations, HDCR Reply with quote

So I finally did the bushwhack climb up to the top of the ridge on Cape Disappointment to take a look at the old FC stations up there.. Wow, these are in really bad shape these days. But considering that there is zero maintenance, what was one to expect...

Some maps of the area:
Annex report map:

1946 map:

1934 map:

GII station, this cas completely collapsed. It would seem that this is recent, since I have seen photos from less than 5 years ago of this structure, and it was in bad shape, but still standing.

RCW for the station:

Further up the hill, there are three additional dug in reinforced concrete stations. They too are in terrible shape, yet still fully intact, yet very overgrown.

So as I headed back down the hill I fell into this little fun guy...

I think its the manhole for the septic tank that serves the latrine for Battery O'Flyng. I saw it as I headed up the hill, but apparently forgot all about it on the way down. As my leg was falling in I knew right away what I stepped in. I even yelled F****ing manhole!!! as I was falling. That bruised up my ankle pretty good. good thing I was wearing boots, if not it would have been much worse.

Last edited by Otto on Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Otto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I forgot about this station. It's located by Battery Allen, and includes a Dormitory.

This is all that remains of the station; a concrete foundation and a cut in the hillside where the station once stood. It was Sewell construction, and did not last the ravages of time, similar to the fate of the GII station.

Although that station is gone, the dormitory is still standing. The flooring is pretty rotten, but the structure is still fairly sturdy.

There are some other CAC artifacts along the trail, including a concrete water tank, and the stairways and remains of the SCR296 radar that served Battery 246 at Fort Columbia, but I did not include them in this post because, well, because it's supposed to be about Cape Disappointment FC stations...

Enjoy.
Aaron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good thanks for posting. Its really too bad no efforts have ever been made to restore or do something with the GII station, though I know (unless they were to make a trail to it and interpret the thing) there'd be nothing in it for either the parks or the USCG. One of these days it may be totally gone.
Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto wrote:
Oh and I forgot about this station. It's located by Battery Allen, and includes a Dormitory.

This is all that remains of the station; a concrete foundation and a cut in the hillside where the station once stood. It was Sewell construction, and did not last the ravages of time, similar to the fate of the GII station.

Here is an image of this station during the 1940s I believe. From the Fort Stevens Museum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> Photo Gallery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: