CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ordnance Museum at APG - Gustav Gun Projectile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whelk12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Ordnance Museum at APG - Gustav Gun Projectile Reply with quote

CDSG, this is a question raised on another Forum that I am a member of. I'm sure that a member of this Group will have the answer, or directions on where to go to get it....
I can't attest to the accuracy of the statements in the question, just forwarding it as is...
Dennis

START:
" Does anyone know what happened to the massive projectile from the 800-mm (31") Gustav Gun / Dora?

I visited Bill Atwater at AP on two occasions with particular focus on the Gustav Gun and its projectile. It made the USN 16" shell look like a peashooter. For those not familiar with it the German Gustav Gun it was as long and heavy as a WW2 destroyer (155' long and 1,490 tons), had a crew of 250 to fire the gun and 2,500 men to lay the track and dig embankments.

The gun fired two types of projectiles using a 3000lb. charge of smokeless powder: a 10,584 lb. high explosive (HE) shell and a 16,540 lb. concrete-piercing projectile. By comparison USS Iowa's 16" High Capacity (HC) round weighed 1,900 lb and the APC (armor piercing), 2,700 lb.

Craters from Gustav's HE shells measured 30-ft. wide and 30-ft. deep while the concrete piercing projectile proved capable of penetrating 264-ft. of reinforced concrete before exploding! Maximum range was 23 miles with HE shells and 29 miles with concrete piercing projectiles. Muzzle velocity was approximately 2700 f.p.s.

END.

12th Commander, 14th MI BN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> What is it? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: