CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fort Hancock & Sandy Hook Spring 2008 Schedule

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chief Of Breech

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Fort Hancock & Sandy Hook Spring 2008 Schedule Reply with quote

Guys:

I already put all these on the calendar on the 'Coast Defense' Yahoo group, but I'd like to post them here as well. We have quite a schedule lined up, and I hope some of you can make it by if you get the chance.

March/April/May (Basic weekend programs):

Battery Potter: Opens in April; Weekends, 1-4 PM

Nike NY-56 IFC: Intact Nike Control Area (Dual Site); under restoration and completely intact; Opens in April; 4/19 and 4/27, 5/3 and 5/18, 1-4 PM

History House: 1890’s Lieutenants House, refurbished to the WWII years, Weekends, 1-5

Fort Hancock Museum: Re-opens in April, Weekends, 1-5 PM – Building 28, Ft. Hancock

----

Special Events & Tours:

March '08:

3/15: Coastal Defense Lantern Tour: I'll be leading a lantern tour to several of the gun batteries - this will be the first tour of its kind in Sandy Hook's history!

April '08:

4/6: Going Bunkers Slide Presentation - Monmouth Beach, NJ Cultural Center. A slide program and talk about the gun batteries of Sandy Hook and their role in the defense of New York Harbor from 1890 through WWII - a companion program to our Going Bunkers Tour on Sunday, 3/13.

4/13: Going Bunkers - Tours of the Post Museum, and Batteries McCook/Reynolds (M/HECP), Potter (GLC), Granger (DC), Gunnison/New Peck (6" P - SE), and Mills (BCLR)

4/19: Fort Hancock Lantern Tour - I'll be leading a lantern tour around the Main Post area to talk about garrison life during WWII. The tour will end at History House with refreshments.

May ’08:

5/4: Mortar Battery Walk, 2 PM – special tour of the Mortar Battery, corresponding with the Monmouth County Historical Association's "A Weekend in Old Monmouth," a county-wide open house of all historical sites.

5/16-18: Battery Gunnison in World War II Army Ground Forces Ass’n members will be working on and interpreting Battery Gunnison as the Examination Battery, as manned by Battery E, 245th CA (HD), circa 1943. http://www.armygroundforces.org

5/17: WWII Harbor Defense Lantern Tour – 8:00 PM, Ft. Hancock Museum – I will be leading a tour to both the HECP and Battery Gunnison – the tour will focus on the role of the HECP/HDCP and the Examination Battery.

5/18: Coastal Defenses Day: Our main event for the spring time.

Events will include:

1) Battery Potter 12-4 PM
2) NY-56 (C) 12-4 PM
3) Parade Ground Various Military Displays, 12-4 PM
4) History House Re-enactors from the 102nd Cav/101st Airborne will have a weapons and encampment display, along with period military and civilian vehicles, 12-4 PM
5) Battery Gunnison 10 am - 4 PM
6) Mortar Battery 12-4 PM

5/26: Memorial Day Missile Defense Tour – 2 PM, at Guardian Park. Car caravan tour to both NY-56 Control and Launch Areas, and will also include the recognition of the 50th Anniversary of the May 22nd, 1958 accident in Middletown where ten AJAX missiles detonated, killing ten.

That covers us until 5/31, when we will release our Summer Schedule. For the complete schedule, please take a look at:

http://www.nps.gov/gate/upload/Spring%202008%20SHU%20Program%20Guide.pdf

If you have any questions, you can contact me at thomas_minton@partner.nps.gov Hope to see you all out here!

-Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> News & Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: