CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: The Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942 Reply with quote

The Fort MacArthur Museum has announced the date for our 5th Annual Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942 event to be held on Saturday night, February 23, 2008. If you are on the west coast or don’t plan to attend the CDSG Galveston conference, we invite you to join us here in California for a night of vintage music, and dancing under the stars. This is our way of having a little fun to celebrate one of the most controversial events to happen on the home front during WWII. Period attire is recommended, but not required, all proceeds go to help support the education, preservation, and restoration projects of the Fort MacArthur Museum. For more information, got to: <http://www.ftmac.org/LA_AirRaid.htm>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Pictures from the Great LA Air Raid Event Reply with quote

At the request of Chris, I have posted what I think were some of the more exceptional pictures from the 2009 Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942 event at the Fort MacArthur Museum. I don’t have the time to annotate the pictures right now, but will try to do it soon. There’s a great video made by Boulos Studios that captures perfectly the spirit of the event, but I can’t embed it into this website. Please click on the link below, it’s worth watching.

http://vimeo.com/3553525

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kaneoheboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome photographs; good job on refurbishing the 1940s era 40 mm AW. Seeing all the cuties made we want to become "a boogie woogie bugle boy of Company B." Cool
Z-man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of fun. I hope to make it out there one of these years. I'll even put on a uniform!
wc 9 and 12 owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe hope to make it next year with the ambulance you guys sold me. Only problem I see is to many officers. In the AA gun pic there are 3 officers. There should be 3 or 4 at the whole event and mixture of privates, private first class, t5, corporal, sgt. and such. The only none officers where the reenactors and some of your guys
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wc 9 and 12 owner wrote:
Only problem I see is to many officers. In the AA gun pic there are 3 officers. There should be 3 or 4 at the whole event and mixture of privates, private first class, t5, corporal, sgt. and such. The only none officers where the reenactors and some of your guys

Hi Mark,
Please realize that these events are not solely “our people” so trying to enforce rank ratios or proper military form is simply impossible. In fact when you look at the museum’s actual population of “soldiers” I think you would find that we had about two officers and over 25 enlisted men working that night…. Unfortunately I can’t follow the photographer around and tell him who he can and can not photograph. I’m just happy that someone took pictures, normally we don’t get anything!

I hope to see you at the event next year, or whenever you make it back down here again.
wc 9 and 12 owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know that. I showed the pics to a fellow reenactor out of state and he loved the pictures but first thing he said was to many officers. I may be down that way in May. I am not sure when I ship out yet.
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, you know how it is with these events. 99% of people who show up are nothing more than dancers and “posers” (for the camera) but not people there to work. You can really tell because the timeline for the event was Feb 1942 and a good majority of our “guests” were warring uniforms, patches and awards that weren’t available till much later in the war. We look forward to your visit before you ship out.
armyjunk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we have a bunch of babes at the CDSG meeting Rolling Eyes
wc 9 and 12 owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn I also wanted to bring the weasel down to this event. Is 1945 same as 1942. You know that was a joke. I still got to get my dads friend down who was a warrant officer in charge of the Nike bases across CA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> News & Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: