CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picture & info Depression Range Finder by Peter Wilkins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> Foreign Coast Defense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Picture & info Depression Range Finder by Peter Wilkins Reply with quote

Here is the picture of the DRF that was posted by Peter Wilkins, as well as the information posted by BW Smith and Elliot Deutsch in the CDSG Yahoo Group.

<< Posted By BW Smith >>
It is hardly a surprise that it does not look American, since it was used in
New Zealand. No doubt it is a British pattern Depression RANGE finder (DRF). Note, it is not a Deression POSITION finder, like the US used. My manual is dated 1912 and only shows the Mk I and Mk II. It looks somewhat different from the Mk II, so I would guess it might be a more modern MK III perhaps? I assume there is no date on it?

I have the base for a Mk I, without the telescope. Incidentally, I think the
telescope is upside down. The leveling bubble went under the telescope, not on top.

<< Posted By Elliot Deutsch >>
(1) We used Brit stuff when we needed it so why couldn't they have used US equipment but it does not look like ours.

(2) Why do you say "range" and not position? There is an azimuth scale,
however pitifully small but there is a vernier or micrometer dial on "our"
side of it.

(3) I agree about the bubble level in the wrong position. I don't have a
manual but in its present "top" position, it obscures the pointing sights on
the fore and aft mounting brackets.

(4) someone in a previous message said it was "home made" NO! Look at the complexity of the range scale drum for vertical adjustment and the
horizontal adjustment to the left of it. That vertical came out of a
laboratory or precision shop.

(5) also looks like the eye-piece is missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
matthewa10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: DRF Reply with quote

This is definitely a VERY early model MkI DRF. There should be some markings on the telescope itself identifying the Mk, and there should be a registered no. Manufactuerer, as well.

I'll have a closer look, but you may be looking at something like a MkIa
matthewa10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take that back. Looking more closely, the telescope is more extended than a typical MkI. I do have some manuals around the place...1915 Vol II. Has a diagram of the MkIII, but from end on, so not much use in this case.

The telescope is much more extended in this photo that you'd normally find in the earlier models, and this doesn't particularly remind me of a MkV. There should still be a Mk desgination on it somewhere.

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> Foreign Coast Defense All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: