CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CD fire control in other countries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> Foreign Coast Defense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynn1212

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: CD fire control in other countries Reply with quote

i've been looking at pics and plans for CD installations in other countries and noticed what appears to be a simplistic control system compared to what is common in the US. instead of the multiple base end stations backed by radar there seems to be only one observation station covering an area. there may be more than one station but from what i see they cannot both cover the same area. some WWII german sites have large optical rangefinders and or radar but they appear to be dedicated to one battery or for early warning. most guns seem to be in local control for sighting with perhaps central control limited to assigning targets. is my impression accurate? i've always heard that the US had the perhaps the best CD in the world but the apparent contrast surprises me. from my reading about invasions in WWII its seems that the axis powers CD did a fairly poor job of shooting with its coastal guns. lots of noise and smoke but few hits. why was there such an apparent difference. was it money, doctrine, or a lack of understanding on the part of the planners. did the generals assume that the FC systems used by their army's artillery would be able to cope with the more complected issues with CD fire control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> Foreign Coast Defense All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: