CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

West Coast or East Coast? Help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: West Coast or East Coast? Help? Reply with quote

Greetings! I am new to this board and am hoping someone with knowledge of coastal fortifications might be willing to share their expertise. I should explain that I am an art historian by profession, and am a newcomer to the subject that brings you all to this forum. Having moved a few years ago to Pacifica in Northern California, I have become fascinated by these abandoned sites that seem to be everywhere.

The image that I have uploaded is of a painting by John Atherton in the collection of the de Young Museum in San Francisco. It is dated 1940 and entitled "Coast Fortification." Atherton was a painter and illustrator who trained in San Francisco, and lived here during the 1920s, but moved to New York in 1929.

This painting was made in New York, and more than likely derives from the artist's imagination rather than a specific site, but I was hoping to gather some opinions from members of this board. Does this look to be an East Coast or West Coast scene? The topography looks like California, but the architecture looks more East Coast. Do the flags convey anything useful? Is there anything realistic about the configuration of the guns?

Please forgive my ignorance in these matters -- and thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.

Jim
TexasViking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are people WAY more knowledgeable than I am here, might take them a while to chime in. The flags are meaningless, there is a "T" flag turned sideways and one that looks like the Panamanian flag, the others are just pretty colors. The guns are too close together and I have no idea what the artist means with the glass plates.

One thing to remember is the government does stuff cookie cutter style. They don't just say we want a house, they say we want a M1940S3(b) house. So it may look New England style but it was what they were building everywhere. The houses at The Presidio are somewhat unique because they are Mission style, not what was built everywhere.
Z-man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guns are mounted "en barbette" - glass panes resemble gun shields. In the foreground of the "fort" is a wall that would appear to mimic 3rd system construction with granite blocks with the rest of the "fort" as concrete? The fact that the location appears to be up on a bluff would seem to indicate west coast.
donnabhain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like anything I'd hang on my wall Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> What is it? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: