CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

St Babs XXIX workday - Sunday 2/27/2011

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z-man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: St Babs XXIX workday - Sunday 2/27/2011 Reply with quote

Hi Folks:

I am hoping CDSG members will join me for a St. Babs XXIX workday on Sunday, Feb. 27th, 2011. We will meet at Fort Adams, Newport, RI at the Redoubt-Jail /Trust Offices at 9 AM. Our objective will be to clear a path from the outer wall of the main fort down the exterior barbette battery / Endicott gunline. Features along this line include 1 intact 15" Rodman position, multiple Rodman magazines, Battery Bankhead, and Battery Talbot. Note that this is not something that the Trust has any interest in - so if members want to see these structures then I will need help clearing a path. Last time I was there, not even deer trails existed, so bring hand tools, gloves, and be prepared to work! Lunch and soda will be provided.

thanks and regards,

Chris Zeeman

St Babs XXIX Chairman
donnabhain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you possibly use any help on the 26th? My schedule is screwy and I'm stuck working the 27th (just my luck!)
Z-man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten a request for current conditions along the main gun line / exterior barbette battery. These pictures are from 2 trips I made along the line in December

2009. It took myself and Jack 3 hours of work to clear a path to the end of Battery Bankhead. From there it took me 3 hours by myself to hack my way to Battery

Talbot. Note that the way brush grows around here - there will be no trace of our path remaining from last year.

Leaving the Salient Place d'Arms

First Rodman magazine

Up and over the magazine

Last remaining 15" Rodman emplacement - we couldn't resist doing a little clearing here to get a better look.

Bty Bankhead - Emplacment 1 after we cleared brush from the bolt circle

Bty Bankhead - Emplacment 2

Bty Bankhead - Traverse Magazine between Emplacement 2 and 3

Bty Bankhead - Emplacment 3

Dense brush between Battery Bankhead and Rodman magazine 2 - maybe an unfinished Rodman position under all the brush and debris?

Rodman magazine 2.

All the magazines have the same layout - here's the interior of #2 - entry hallway looking out

Interior chamber - remains of original wood floor?

The interior magazine.

Open area / unfinished rodman positions between magazine 2 and 3

Entrance to magazine 3 - after I hacked enough brush to be able to crawl in. Chainlink fence immediately off left side of photo.

Looking from roof of magazine 3 across open area / unfinished Rodman positions to magazine 4 and Battry Talbot.

View from ground level - looks fairly open...

Until you look more closely - typical green briers found through out the NE. I am nick-naming them "Yankee Barbed-wire".

Magazine 4 - Entrance and exposed roof.

Battery Talbot

Kaneoheboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: St. Babs XXIX workday Reply with quote

Boy, you guys on the east coast have done wonders in clearing the brush from old fortifications. Just think, I thought things grew wild only in the Tropics.

Keep up the good work! Nice pics. Cool

-John
Z-man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things grow unbelieveable fast around here - we had the Redoubt ditch cleared on 5/17/2010 - by the end of the summer the sumacs were 12 - 15 feet high as we just didn't have time to get out there.
Z-man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pictures from the magazine/traverse between Gun 1 and 2.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> News & Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: