CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Guard to inspect old Camp McQuaide site

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fire4Effect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: National Guard to inspect old Camp McQuaide site Reply with quote

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_18651195?source=most_viewed
Otto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. I actually went to High School at Monterey Bay Academy, which is the occupant of the old Camp. There where still some of the old Army buildings there, including the old theater. Unfortunately I was there in 1989, and when the Earthquake hit, many of the old Army buildings became very unstable, and where condemmed, including the awesome theater.

There used to be two Panama mounts out by the Air field. I checked google earth, and yep they are still there. Also the old HE magazines / bunkers are still there too.
armyjunk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Otto, I see one Panama, where is the second one? is it the area very close to the first one or is it up by the Aircraft on Google earth?? thanks
Otto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armyjunk wrote:
hi Otto, I see one Panama, where is the second one? is it the area very close to the first one or is it up by the Aircraft on Google earth?? thanks

I don't know what that circular concrete area near the aircraft it. I don't remember what it was.

The second Panama mount is the over grown area next to the first Mount that you can see. It was not grown over like that when I was there in the late 80's.

From information I gleaned off the internet, it seems like the units assigned to Camp McQuaide (as far as CA is concerned) used mostly tractor drawn 155mm GPF. Perhaps the Panama Mounts where a trial, or a fixed defenses for the Stockade that was housed there during WWII.

More info:

http://www.militarymuseum.org/CpMcQuaide.html

http://www.dangel.net/250thCoastArtillery/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> News & Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: