CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did any stateside coastal artillery units engage an enemy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdamaso111

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Did any stateside coastal artillery units engage an enemy? Reply with quote

i recently just saw my interest in ww2 combat units shift to the roles stateside units had and was wondering if any of them actually fought an axis enemy, more specifically the 3rd coastal artillery regiment 520th coastal artillery battalion.

thanks!
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on how you define “fought and Axis enemy” The 3rd Coast Artillery during WWII at Fort MacArthur was primarily responsible for the heavy Coast Artillery, rapid fire guns, some AA and searchlights of the fort proper. Other than “The Great LA Air Raid” there was little need for these guns to come into action during the war.

Perhaps the closest any of our units came to real combat against the Axis was when Battery F of the 105th Field Artillery opened fire on a Japanese submarine on 25 December 1944.

Joe Janesic
Vice-President
Fort MacArthur Museum Association
562-577-5052 www.ftmac.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jdamaso111

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the response! even tho shooting at UFOs was far from what i thought aha.
denfly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: 105th was not Coastal Reply with quote

The 105th fought mostly on Guadacanal as a National Guard Field Artillery Unit. Perhaps the closest would have been the 107th Coast Artillery Corps,/Regiment which was torpedoed in the Atlantic in June, 7th 1942 perhaps off the U.S.T. Sicilien. (abmc.gov.) Hit WW2 listing, then unit and type 107. A number of members were killed that day. All from the 107th but listed as regiment, corps. and trans. detatchment.
denfly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was Okinawa that the 105th f.a. fought in not Guadacanal. My mistake.
Otto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fort Stevens, Oregon was shelled by a Japanese sub. on June 21, 1942. They never returned fire, because it was thought that the vessel was out of range of the 10" guns of Battery Russel. I don't know if that qualifies "engage the enemy", but it was the only attack by the Japanese on any stateside military target in the lower 48.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardment_of_Fort_Stevens
BollingSmith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of seacoast units went overseas to the Pacific, where, they often were employed as field artillery, using 155 guns.

I think this is discussed in several articles in the CAJ.

Coast Artillery antiaircraft units saw action in several theaters.
denfly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also believe a number of searchlight battalions of Coast Arty. units also served overseas, but yes many were converted to 155mm field arty. units.
Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as Otto said Fort Stevens in Oregon was attacked by Japanese submarine I-25 in June 1942. Whether Fort Stevens was an intentional or unintentional target of the submarine is still up to speculation. There is a great book to be read about the event by Bert Webber: http://www.amazon.com/Panic-Fort-Stevens-Japanese-Documentary/dp/0936738871

Panic! at Fort Stevens is more or less an excerpt from the larger book, Silent Siege III, which is a great book and well worth the price: http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Siege-III-Civilians-Documentary/dp/0936738731/ref=la_B001JRVPPC_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385444942&sr=1-7

Most of Webber's research was done in the 1970s, so he had a chance to interview many veterans, including many Japanese sailors who were on the I-25.

Also worth a watch is this great video with veteran interviews detailing the attack, filmed in 1992: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io_w4UWCcCE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: