CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mines. Casemate exterior, MC M1/4, HDCR.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Mines. Casemate exterior, MC M1/4, HDCR. Reply with quote

Fort Columbia, Washington.

1. Mine Casemate doors. Not sure if this is an original door, considering that the bars on the vertical are of galvanized EMT tubing.

2.I saw this from the bottom of the hill. What is it? A vent?

3. Its looks like a land defenses position. Machine guns.

4. Yep. Three posts for .30 cal. machine guns with fire openings to the north, east and west. (away from the direction of the bay)

5. Partially filled in entry way to the Machine Gun Position.

6. There are some guns here too...

7. A little hike up a hill, and there is this:

8. Entry to MC and M1/4.

11. Topside. The floor is totally rotted through. Do not go in there.

12. Up the hill is a barracks building. It too is completely rotted out, yet still standing.

13. Officers Quarters.

14. Enlisted Quarters.

15. Fire control for Tactical #5 and the Mines (two structures).

Enjoy.
AndyR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the outer door of the mine casemate? If it is, the crossed cannons are new since 2006.

I'd love to have more facts on that pillbox on top of the casemate. When it was built, original purpose, etc. It's obviously been modified a reasonable amount, and some people have claimed it wasn't originally a weapons position, although I haven't seen documents on that one way or the other.
Otto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyR wrote:
Is that the outer door of the mine casemate? If it is, the crossed cannons are new since 2006.

Yeah. It's on the entrance closest to the "theater". I assumed that it was not original because of the Galvanized EMT tubing used to make up the "door".

AndyR wrote:
I'd love to have more facts on that pillbox on top of the casemate. When it was built, original purpose, etc. It's obviously been modified a reasonable amount, and some people have claimed it wasn't originally a weapons position, although I haven't seen documents on that one way or the other.

I found a hand drawn drawing of the Casemate that includes the pillbox, but I have not seen any official drawings of the pillbox, nor what it might have been before used as a pillbox. So your guess is as good as mine as to it's original use.

cfc3612

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Not seeing pictures Reply with quote

Is it just me or is the pictures not showing up on a couple of these?
Otto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Not seeing pictures Reply with quote

cfc3612 wrote:

Hmmm. I see them all. They are linked through Photobucket, maybe they where having trouble on their end when you last looked at the post.
Otto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyR wrote:

I have been thinking about this one, may be you are thinking of the other pill box at Fort Columbia. I do not have a picture of my own, but I found this one one the internetz.

I think that this structure was originally part of the third emplacement for Battery Ord. The emplacement has been buried and was used for a time as a switchboard room. I think this might have been an emergency BC or observation station, that later was converted into a machine gun position. The WWII annex indicated that there was a MG position here, but the map is not very detailed. Could this be what you where thinking of, when you think the structure was originally built with a different purpose?
AndyR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant the one on top of the WW2 mine casemate. Its embrasures were originally larger windows that were filled in with concrete, and it has that vent pipe from the casemate coming right up through one of them. I can't imagine anyone building it that way as original construction.

For those smaller positions, there's also a second SW of Ord's #1 emplacement. Interestingly, it has a solid roof, without the hole. I'm betting WW2 or newer for them both; observation posts from older batteries tend to be built right into the parapets (you can see one at Ord #3 that's been filled with cement, actually).

I don't know much about AA weapons, but the two by Ord seem a little small for .50 cal guns. They do kind of line up with the two shown on the Annex map though... It's hard to say, and that's why I'd love more documentation. =)
cfc3612

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Not seeing pictures Reply with quote

Otto wrote:
cfc3612 wrote:

Hmmm. I see them all. They are linked through Photobucket, maybe they where having trouble on their end when you last looked at the post.

Today I can see the last one but not the ones at the top of the page and its also like that on a couple of other photos also.
Otto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Not seeing pictures Reply with quote

cfc3612 wrote:

Today I can see the last one but not the ones at the top of the page and its also like that on a couple of other photos also.

I dunno. Maybe your computer or ISP has a thing against Photobucket. The last one I posted was copypasta from google image search, and not linked to my Photobucket site. Do you see images from other posters? I think ARMYJUNK's pictures are also hosted by Photobucket, and he literally has a "bucket" of images posted here. Check and see if images in his posts show up for you. If not, I think the problem might be on your end.

If all else fails, I think Z-Man is the Admin here, shoot him a message. He might have a better answer than I.
Z-man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys:

All the pictures are coming up fine for me. I know sometimes Photobucket gets blocked on corporate networks and that sort of thing...I now have a domain so that's where I'm parking my photos - but I used to use Photobucket and it seemed to work OK. ArmyJunk gets a lot of hits, so sometimes his account gets maxed out for downloads - but it usually gives you a message saying that.

Z.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> Photo Gallery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: