CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A look inside Battery 241 at Fort MacArthur
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: A look inside Battery 241 at Fort MacArthur Reply with quote

Here's a look at one of our current projects at the Fort MacArthur Museum. Back in April a team of people consisting of volunteers and staff began to restore the lighting inside long abandoned Battery 241 at Fort MacArthur. Here's a look at the battery showing the work done so far.

Entering the battery through the muffler gallery

Coolers and air scrubbers

Entering the generator room, engine No. 3 (closest to the camera) can be turned over by hand, we're still working on the other two.

War Finish label on Engine No. 1

The Day Tanks

Fuel gauge

Fuel pump controls

Controls on generator No. 2

Sticker on the oil pump sending unit of generator No. 1

Another look at the generator room

The plotting and switchboard room

The CWS Room viewed from the switchboard room

A look inside the Latrine

One of the two sinks inside the Latrine

Wore pictures will be posted later as time allows. Right now we can energize the lighting circuits on two-thirds of the battery using a portable generator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
armyjunk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice
Z-man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better in person - my first visit to a "folded" type 200 series...thanks Joe!
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

Glad you guys like the work we're doing. I should be able to post more pictures next week. This weekend we have a group of volunteers from the Boy Scouts who will ne helping to clear the debris from around the door of the battery and some of the junk left over inside. After that we'll start working on a plan to clean the rest of the building.

I don't suppose anyone has details about the type of air compressers used in the battery (make, model, volume of air) because we're at the point of having some serious discussions about what it will take to turn over the generators.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
redundantdon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Battery 241 Reply with quote

You guys have done a fantastic job! Unfortunately there is a lot more to be done.

It is too bad that people have not been able to save other locations also.

Don
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

---------- The following is a public service message -----------------
We do what we can, but as always progress is governed by two major factors, money and volunteers to do the work (skilled volunteers are best) it always amazes me how many people say "your doing great work" or "wow! I'm glad someone is doing something to preserve or restore". They then walk away and you don't see them again for another year.

The reality is all it takes is a little effort and sustained commitment. What would it really do to your personal schedule to volunteer eight hours a month at your local fort?

If you can't volunteer, open your wallet and send $250 a year to the people who can and have a track record of doing it. That's just over $20 a month and it really makes a difference when combined with donations from others. What would you really be missing from your life for $20 a month; one less visit to Starbucks every week?

We find the more these sites look "lived in" and the more it looks like someone is taking care of them, they suffer fewer incidents of vandalism and destruction. So a little physical effort and a modest amount of money goes a long way.

If we don't do the hard work today to protect these sites, they wont be here tomorrow.... TIME IS SHORT

---------- End rant / public service message, whatever you want to call it -----------------
armyjunk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone (chris) know if Fourth Cliff still has the Air Compressor unit still there??
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pictures of the generator room at Battery 208 would also be helpful. That will help us know if there's anything else we might be missing or should be keeping an eye out for. We are also looking for a manual for the Worthington BB5 / CC5 engine.

For those who haven't seen it, here is a couple of great videos showing start up of a Worthington BB6/ CC6 that is mounted in a tug boat in the Netherlands.

http://youtu.be/ILPdbvFRZ70
http://youtu.be/b_Q9YbAOpac
armyjunk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, Look what I found for you, I have some more pics I'll scan tomorrow. Matbe someone has better digital pics.....

JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic!! Thanks for the help, if you have any other images, I would really like to see them.
Z-man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th Cliff Power Room - August 2009. Details of air compressor / tanks. Overall shots of room to locate above....compressor would be in back corner between last exhaust pipe and power panel

Air tanks - note exhaust in 2nd photo

Air compressor.

Standing at compressor looking back at power room and tanks.

Same location, but looking at panel

Z-man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 more - Joe compare with your photo of the fuel pump controls in 241....the difference between Cali and New England...

JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW... just WOW... I had heard that battery still had it's engines and that they were in bad condition but I had no idea they were this bad. Now I'm wondering what can be done to salvage some of the parts for use in Battery 241... We're missing a couple of gauges on the power board, compressors and tanks. I'd never use the ones in Battery 208 but might use them as a template to make new ones.
Z-man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site is currently in use as an Air Force Rec area - the battery has an R/V campsite on gun 2, and a picnic pavillion on gun 1. They just use the magazine space for storage...
armyjunk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my pic is better than his.Very Happy ....................... thanks Chris for posting those, I would have to scan these..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: