CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A look inside Battery 241 at Fort MacArthur
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now, now, boys let's try not to fight... Rolling Eyes Thank you both for your help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Otto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That power room looks like you could fire it up today. I suppose that is one of the projects for the future?
Otto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOoppss. Double post.
Z-man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad pictures - too much flash! Smile
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Russell and Stoll, explosion proof breaker boxes Reply with quote

These are pictures of one of the dameged Russell and Stoll explosion proof breaker boxes located inside the battery. All three of the disstribution boxes had broken or damaged switches. Each of the cast iron breakers connects to an industrial circuit breaker allowing the breaker to be operated without risk that an electric spark might ignite gun powder or gases within the magazine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Z-man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have another go through my pics when I get back from Reading with Andy....to see if anything that looks like that is still in the battery at 4th Cliff.
armyjunk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing in my old pics but chris will have more and better pics.
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, it would be cool to know is they are still in place, but I forgot to mention in my previous post that if you look closely you will see the three switches we had to fabricate in house to replace the missing ones. Tom Grove also made the three missing tabs from the inside of the cover that wrap around the handle of each circuit breaker. We've already re-mounted the missing breakers in this box and will install this cover back in the battery on Saturday.

In doing this work I was surprised to find that there are people who actually specialize in supplying outdated breakers. Modern circuit breakers wont mount inside the box so we had to locate 13 replacements to complete the battery lighting system.
Z-man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to take a look before I left and agree with Roger. The is some stuff in the compressor ( ?) rooms and in switchboard radio. Didn't have time to resize before heading out. Will post for you to eyeball when back
brian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as former electrician, am I jelous , wish you guys wernt half a continent away.

BB
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Todays project, debris removal Reply with quote

Here are some pictures from todays project to remove at least six tons of debris from the entry of the battery. Some of this concrete hasn't been exposed to sunlight in over 20 years!

Z-man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesone job on the entrance Joe....here's a few more from 4th Cliff. Probably too rusty for you...

Switchboard Room...

Tool / Compressor room...both rooms seem to have similar equipment remaining...

armyjunk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a suggestion, the Air Compressor unit at Fourth Cliff is going to rust away, why not have it shipped to LA. This would cost in the neighborhood of $200.00 Fedex or truck lines. The Coast Defense Study Group could pay for it. We have several folks in the Boston area, and one of them might be nice enough to take care of the Boston end. I have a friend that ships car engines and transmissions everyday so its not a big deal. I'm sure if a historical group asked for the compressor the Air Force would be happy to get rid of it.
JoeJanesic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guy's It would in fact be great to be able to go through that battery on a "shopping trip" to be able to recover any equipment that might be able and useful to be transplanted bask into Battery 241. Does anyone have a contact with either the base commander of someone in charge of maintenance at Fourth Cliff? If so we'd like to take advantage of that to see what the possibilities would be to mount a recovery expedition.
John Roberts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Battery 241 Reply with quote

OK, I am officially jealous! Here, at Fort Miles, NONE of our buildings are anywhere near this close to original. We're spending considerable effort finding out what was there, and having to accept the reality we won't find a lot of what we need. We had Buckeye diesels, and there's just no hope of getting those anywhere, as an example.

You have a great place to start! Next time I'm out that way, I'd love to stop by and take a peek!

Anxious to see a video when you get these engines running.

John Roberts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> American Coast Defense All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: