CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDCR Searchlights, Fort Columbia.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: HDCR Searchlights, Fort Columbia. Reply with quote

Here are some recent pictures of the searchlights at Fort Columbia. The Parks Dept. recently brushed out the trail to the summit. Looks like it's been a few years since this kind of work has been done.

Overview map of area.

Powerhouse.

Powerhouse RCW. It's the sheet for Fort Stevens, but it is a duplicate structure, along with an identical structure for Fort Canby as well.

Fixed Searchlight #12

Fixed Searchlight #11

Controller Booth.

Controller Booth RCW.

I found this crazy contraption in the woods above the searchlights. It was among assorted disposed of metal duct work, tires and other trash. I have no idea what it is, but it looks newer than anything that was used for harbor defenses. Perhaps abandoned logging gear?
Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures Otto. I still have to make it to these ones, have only been to the searchlight houses at North Head so far. I never realized about the panels on the searchlight house, until I read about them and saw these pics, as they are missing from the ones at North Head at Fort Canby. Its really cool how much of the original stuff is still at Fort Columbia. These searchlight houses are a great example.
Otto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Arron; yes it is nice to see the doors still intact on the searchlight shelters. In fact i even tried to see if they would still slide along the rails and open up, but sadly they are rusted together. I suppose if one showed up with a gallon of WD40, some wire brushes, and lots of elbow grease, one could maybe get them to operate once again.
I think the reason for these shelters to be in better shape than the ones on North Head is the weather. North Head get the full force of any storms that come through, where as Fort Columbia is farther inland on the river, and these lights sit in a more protected area from wind, weather and other nasties of the coast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> Photo Gallery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: