CDSG Forums Forum Index CDSG Forums
A place to discuss all aspects of Coast Artillery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B6/1 S6/1, Tioga Beach FC, HDCR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otto

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: B6/1 S6/1, Tioga Beach FC, HDCR Reply with quote

I recently found this FC station. It is the northern most FC station for the Batteries that guard the entrance to the Columbia River.

This station is located just north of the City of Long Beach, Washington. It appears to be one of the more unique FC station in the entire HD. it was built in 1943 and was designated to Battery 247, two 6" SBC M1 Guns. located at Fort Canby, Washington.

Here are some maps describing the area.

This station was a FC post and a searchlight position. The station and the associated shelters for the portable searchlights and power house where all built to resemble a beach cottage, similar to FC stations in New England. I think it might be the only station on the west coast camoflauged as a beach cottage.

It looks like the FC station has been modified from its original Army build. The enclosed the porch, and built an addition to both floors of the house.

Here is a shot of the part of the station that faced the ocean. it looks like all of the station observation windows have been removed, and reframed for larger windows. Most likely done when the place was built onto.

Here is the searchlight shelter. It looks like the original doors have been removed, and these metal roll up typre doors where installed.

This was the powerhouse.

I was not able to get any pictures of the interior. This is a private residence these days. I rang the doorbell and knocked on the door, but either no one was home, or they where ignoring me. I wanted to see if the instrument pillars where still in place, but as the place has been built onto, they where probably demolished during the remodeling process.

Here are some drawings from the RCW.

Some more paperwork on the issue.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Otto on Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaron

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thanks for posting.
Z-man

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Otto:

The ones around Narragansett tend to look something like this:

http://cdsg.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=153

The one you posted almost seems to have a more "contemporary" look. Perhaps to more closely match that region's architecture....
Otto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Aaron.

Hi Chris,
I have seen that FC site you posted. I find it interesting that many FC stations on the East Coast where disguised as cottages, and homes, etc. it seems that that was not the case on the West Coast. In fact, I believe that this station might be the only one of it kind out here in the West. Well, at least that I have seen. The closest I have run across where some of the Barranccas style FC posts in and around the Puget Sound area, and perhaps the one other FC station in HDCR that was disguised as a water tower...
Otto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to add to this post, I gained some more information on this station...

Turns out the RCW and drawings where labeled incorrectly, stating that this was B7/1 S7/1 when in fact it's B6/1 S6/1. Turns out that there where seven BES planned for Battery 247, but only six where actually built. I have changed the title of the post to reflect that.

Also, I did a county assessors search of the property. Turns out that the buildings are actually owned by the State of Washington, Fish and wildlife division. That explains the strange contraptions parked in front of the buildings that resemble bear traps. I guess they are indeed just that.
Interestingly is that the state did the renovation and additions to the buildings. Perhaps I guess that is better than them demolishing the site to build whatever they needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CDSG Forums Forum Index -> Photo Gallery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: